Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My letter to Kentucky Farm Bureau

When I hear the words "Kentucky Farm Bureau", the image I've always had has been an organization working for farmers in Kentucky to improve the their quality of life and their interests. But that image was shattered when I learned today that you have a stated corporate belief that gay people are abhorrent and immoral, and that public institutions ought to discriminate against people based on sexual orientation and gender identity. I have read some of the Kentucky Farm Bureau's formal positions:

* "The institution of marriage should only be recognized as the legal union of a man and a woman."
* "We are opposed to any state-supported agency providing benefits to 'domestic' partners."
* "Alternative lifestyles should not be taught in public schools."
* "We are opposed to granting special privileges to anyone."

I am going to encourage all of my family and friends, many of whom are farmers and many of who are your customers, to NOT be a part of the Kentucky Farm Bureau, based on these discriminatory policies and grossly inappropriate statements. Thanks for contributing to the negative stereotype so many people all over the world have about Kentucky!

You can write Kentucky Farm Bureau as well here.

More about this ridiculous practice here.

Harumph.

No comments:

Post a Comment